Jehanum ni neno lenye asili ya Kiebrania (גיא בן הינום, Gei Ben-Hinnom, "bonde la mwana wa Hinnom"; kwa Kigiriki: γέεννα) linalomaanisha adhabu ya moto wa milele ambayo kadiri ya Biblia na Kurani itawapata watu waovu huko ahera kwa hukumu ya Mwenyezi Mungu.
Hata hivyo katika Agano Jipya jina hilo linatumika zaidi kwa maana ya moto wa milele, pia kwa sababu wakati wa Yesu bonde hilo lilitumika kama jalala, hivyo moto uliokuwa wa kudumu ndani yake. Katika Injili imeandikwa mara 11 kwamba mwenyewe alitumia jina hilo  kudokezea hali iliyo kinyume cha uzima wa milele.
Tanbihi[hariri | hariri chanzo]
- "However, in the New Testament the term Gehenna is used more frequently in preference to hades, as a name for the place of punishment of the damned. ... held in abomination by the Jews, who, accordingly, used the name of this valley to designate the abode of the damned (Targ. Jon., Gen., iii, 24; Henoch, c. xxvi). And Christ adopted this usage of the term." Jewish Encyclopedia: Gehenna: Sin and Merit: "It is frequently said that certain sins will lead man into Gehenna. The name "Gehenna" itself is explained to mean that unchastity will lead to Gehenna (; 'Er. 19a); so also will adultery, idolatry, pride, mockery, hypocrisy, anger, etc. (Soṭah 4b, 41b; Ta'an. 5a; B. B. 10b, 78b; 'Ab. Zarah 18b; Ned. 22a)." Catholic Encyclopedia, Hell.
- *Matthew 5:22: "....whoever shall say, "You fool," shall be guilty enough to go into Gehenna."
- Matthew 5:29: "....it is better for you that one of the parts of your body perish, than for your whole body to be thrown into Gehenna."
- Matthew 5:30: "....better for you that one of the parts of your body perish, than for your whole body to go into Gehenna."
- Matthew 10:28: "....rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna."
- Matthew 18:9: "It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than with two eyes to be thrown into the Gehenna."
- Matthew 23:15: "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you... make one proselyte...twice as much a child of Gehenna as yourselves."
- Matthew 23:33, to the Pharisees: "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how shall you to escape the sentence of Gehenna?"
- Mark 9:43: "It is better for you to enter life crippled, than having your two hands, to go into Gehenna into the unquenchable fire."
- Mark 9:45: "It is better for you to enter life lame, than having your two feet, to be cast into Gehenna."
- Mark 9:47: "It is better for you to enter the Kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes, to be cast into Gehenna."
- Luke 12:5: "....fear the One who, after He has killed has authority to cast into Gehenna; yes, I tell you, fear Him."
- Blue Letter Bible. "Dictionary and Word Search for geenna (Strong's 1067)".
- Richard P. Taylor -Death and the afterlife: a cultural encyclopedia 2000 "JAHANNAM From the Hebrew ge-hinnom, which refers to a valley outside Jerusalem, Jahannam is the Islamic word for hell."
Viungo vya nje[hariri | hariri chanzo]
- Short guide to today's Valley of Hinnom, with biblical story
- Columbia Encyclopedia on the Valley of Hinnom
- Biblical Proper Names on the Valley of Hinnom
- Gehenna from the 1901-1906 Jewish Encyclopedia
- The Jewish view of Hell on chabad.org
- Olam Ha-Ba: The Afterlife Judaism 101
- What Is Gehenna? Ariela Pelaia, About religion, about.com
- What is Gehenna Like?: Rabbinic Descriptions of Gehenna Ariela Pelaia, About religion, about.com
- A Christian Universalist perspective from Tentmaker.org
- A Christian Conditionalist perspective on Gehenna from Afterlife.co.nz
|Makala hii kuhusu mambo ya dini bado ni mbegu.
Je, unajua kitu kuhusu Jehanum kama historia yake au uenezi wake?
Labda unaona habari katika Wikipedia ya Kiingereza au lugha nyingine zinazofaa kutafsiriwa?
Basi unaweza kuisaidia Wikipedia kwa kuihariri na kuongeza habari.