- sw: Ukurasa huu ni kwa ajili ya kuwasaidia watu wanaotaka kuboresha kamusi hii na kujadiliana mambo ya jumuiya yetu!
Viungo vya jumuia:
- en: Welcome to the Swahili Wikipedia village pump!
Kumbukumbu ya miaka iliyopita
Majadiliano ya awali yamehamishiwa hapa:
Jenga Wikipedia ya Kiswahili
Kwa wote wanaopenda kutafakari na kujadiliana nasi namna ya kuendeleza wikipedia hii ya Kiswahili wakabidhi walianzisha kundi la meta:Jenga Wikipedia ya Kiswahili. Unaweza kujiandikisha pale kama umehariri hapa kwa muda wa mwaka moja angalau.
Editing News #1—2018
Read this in another language • Subscription list for this multilingual newsletter
Did you know?
Did you know that you can now use the visual diff tool on any page?
Sometimes, it is hard to see important changes in a wikitext diff. This screenshot of a wikitext diff (click to enlarge) shows that the paragraphs have been rearranged, but it does not highlight the removal of a word or the addition of a new sentence.
If you enable the Beta Feature for "Visual differences", you will have a new option. It will give you a new box at the top of every diff page. This box will let you choose either diff system on any edit.
Click the toggle button to switch between visual and wikitext diffs.
In the visual diff, additions, removals, new links, and formatting changes will be highlighted. Other changes, such as changing the size of an image, are described in notes on the side.
This screenshot shows the same edit as the wikitext diff. The visual diff highlights the removal of one word and the addition of a new sentence.
You can read and help translate the user guide, which has more information about how to use the visual editor.
Since the last newsletter, the Editing Team has spent most of their time supporting the 2017 wikitext editor mode, which is available inside the visual editor as a Beta Feature, and improving the visual diff tool. Their work board is available in Phabricator. You can find links to the work finished each week at mw:VisualEditor/Weekly triage meetings. Their current priorities are fixing bugs, supporting the 2017 wikitext editor, and improving the visual diff tool.
- The 2017 wikitext editor is available as a Beta Feature on desktop devices. It has the same toolbar as the visual editor and can use the citoid service and other modern tools. The team have been comparing the performance of different editing environments. They have studied how long it takes to open the page and start typing. The study uses data for more than one million edits during December and January. Some changes have been made to improve the speed of the 2017 wikitext editor and the visual editor. Recently, the 2017 wikitext editor opened fastest for most edits, and the 2010 WikiEditor was fastest for some edits. More information will be posted at mw:Contributors/Projects/Editing performance.
- The visual diff tool was developed for the visual editor. It is now available to all users of the visual editor and the 2017 wikitext editor. When you review your changes, you can toggle between wikitext and visual diffs. You can also enable the new Beta Feature for "Visual diffs". The Beta Feature lets you use the visual diff tool to view other people's edits on page histories and Special:RecentChanges. 
- Wikitext syntax highlighting is available as a Beta Feature for both the 2017 wikitext editor and the 2010 wikitext editor. 
- The citoid service automatically translates URLs, DOIs, ISBNs, and PubMed id numbers into wikitext citation templates. It is very popular and useful to editors, although it can be a bit tricky to set up. Your wiki can have this service. Please read the instructions. You can ask the team to help you enable citoid at your wiki.
Let's work together
20:56, 2 Machi 2018 (UTC)
Galicia 15 - 15 Challenge
Wikipedia:Galicia 15 - 15 Challenge is a public writing competition which will improve improve and translate this list of 15 really important articles into as many languages as possible. Everybody can help in any language to collaborate on writing and/or translating articles related to Galicia. To participate you just need to sign up here. Thank you very much.--Breogan2008 (majadiliano) 14:37, 12 Machi 2018 (UTC)
Kwa neema ya Mwenyezi Mungu tumefikia kiwango hicho. Naomba mafundi wetu bora wabandike lebo ya dhahabu. Amani kwenu na tusonge mbele! --Riccardo Riccioni (majadiliano) 07:57, 17 Machi 2018 (UTC)
- Hongera, Padre Riccardo! Sina ujuzi kuhuzu lebo ya dhahabu, lakini nimeandika kuhusu hatua hiyo ukurasani mwa Matukio ya hivi karibuni. Sherehe na furaha na fahari! --Baba Tabita (majadiliano) 09:58, 17 Machi 2018 (UTC)
- Nafurahi sana! Hongera Riccardo, pole na kupanda milima mingi. Kipala (majadiliano) 14:19, 17 Machi 2018 (UTC)
Time to bring embedded maps (‘mapframe’) to most Wikipedias
Time to bring embedded maps (‘mapframe’) to most Wikipedias
Please help translate to your language
Mapframe is a feature that enables users to easily display interactive maps right on wiki pages. Currently, most Wikipedias don’t have mapframe. But fifteen Wikipedias, along with all the other Wikimedia projects, are using mapframe today to display maps on thousands of pages.
A little background: over the last few months, the Foundation’s Collaboration team has been working to improve the stability and user experience of the maps service. In addition, a question about long-term support for the maps service was recently settled, and a small team has been assigned for routine maintenance. Given these developments, bringing the benefits of mapframe to Wikipedias that lack the feature seems both safe and supportable. Nine Wikipedias that use a stricter version of Flagged Revisions will not get mapframe in this release.
Maps are a valuable form of visual data that can improve readers’ understanding across a wide range of topics. If you know of any reasons why mapframe shouldn’t be implemented on your Wikipedia, let us know on the project talk page. Unless we hear from you, we plan to release mapframe to most Wikipedias in May, 2018. So, if you foresee an issue, please let us hear from you. Otherwise, happy mapping!
CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 21:38, 24 Aprili 2018 (UTC)
From May 8, AdvancedSearch
will be available as a beta feature
in your wiki. The feature enhances the search page
through an advanced parameters form and aims to make existing search options
more visible and accessible for everyone. AdvancedSearch is a project by WMDE Technical Wishes
. Everyone is invited to test the feature and we hope that it will serve you well in your work!
Birgit Müller (WMDE) 14:53, 7 Mei 2018 (UTC)
New Wikipedia Library Accounts Available Now (May 2018)
The TWL OWL says sign up today!
The Wikipedia Library is announcing signups today for free, full-access, accounts to research and tools as part of our Publisher Donation Program. You can sign up for new accounts and research materials on the Library Card platform:
- Rock's Backpages – Music articles and interviews from the 1950s onwards - 50 accounts
- Invaluable – Database of more than 50 million auctions and over 500,000 artists - 15 accounts
- Termsoup – Translation tool
Many other partnerships with accounts available are listed on our partners page, including Baylor University Press, Loeb Classical Library, Cairn, Gale and Bloomsbury.
Do better research and help expand the use of high quality references across Wikipedia projects: sign up today!
--The Wikipedia Library Team 18:03, 30 Mei 2018 (UTC)
- You can host and coordinate signups for a Wikipedia Library branch in your own language. Please contact Ocaasi (WMF).
- This message was delivered via the Global Mass Message tool to The Wikipedia Library Global Delivery List.
Update on page issues on mobile web
Update on page issues on mobile web
Please help translate to your language
Hi everyone. The Readers web team has recently begun working on exposing issue templates on the mobile website. Currently, details about issues with page content are generally hidden on the mobile website. This leaves readers unaware of the reliability of the pages they are reading. The goal of this project is to improve awareness of particular issues within an article on the mobile web. We will do this by changing the visual styling of page issues.
So far, we have drafted a proposal on the design and implementation of the project. We were also able to run user testing on the proposed designs. The tests so far have positive results. Here is a quick summary of what we learned:
- The new treatment increases awareness of page issues among participants. This is true particularly when they are in a more evaluative/critical mode.
- Page issues make sense to readers and they understand how they work
- Readers care about page issues and consider them important
- Readers had overwhelmingly positive sentiments towards Wikipedia associated with learning about page issues
Our next step would be to start implementing these changes. We wanted to reach out to you for any concerns, thoughts, and suggestions you might have before beginning development. Please visit the project page where we have more information and mockups of how this may look. Please leave feedback on the talk page.
CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 20:58, 12 Juni 2018 (UTC)
Tidy to RemexHtml
The Parsing team will be replacing Tidy with RemexHtml at this wiki on 5 July 2018.
Some pages at this wiki use outdated HTML. This change may change the appearance of those pages. Special:LintErrors has a complete list of affected pages.
Read this e-mail message for more information. Read the instructions at mw:Help:Extension:Linter. You can ask questions at mw:Talk:Parsing/Replacing Tidy. Thank you for helping fix these problems.
m:User:Elitre (WMF) 14:38, 2 Julai 2018 (UTC)
Global preferences are available
19:20, 10 Julai 2018 (UTC)
Kumbe leo hii Riccardo ametufikisha kwa makala 44,000 !! Asante na hongera Ndugu! Kipala (majadiliano) 12:43, 30 Julai 2018 (UTC)
New user group for editing sitewide CSS / JS
(Please help translate to your language)
To improve the security of our readers and editors, permission handling for CSS/JS pages has changed. (These are pages like
MediaWiki:Vector.js which contain code that is executed in the browsers of users of the site.)
A new user group,
interface-admin, has been created.
Starting four weeks from now, only members of this group will be able edit CSS/JS pages that they do not own (that is, any page ending with
.js that is either in the
MediaWiki: namespace or is another user's user subpage).
You can learn more about the motivation behind the change here.
Please add users who need to edit CSS/JS to the new group (this can be done the same way new administrators are added, by stewards or local bureaucrats).
This is a dangerous permission; a malicious user or a hacker taking over the account of a careless interface-admin can abuse it in far worse ways than admin permissions could be abused. Please only assign it to users who need it, who are trusted by the community, and who follow common basic password and computer security practices (use strong passwords, do not reuse passwords, use two-factor authentication if possible, do not install software of questionable origin on your machine, use antivirus software if that's a standard thing in your environment).
Tgr (talk) 17:45, 30 Julai 2018 (UTC) (via global message delivery)
Enabling a helpful feature for Template editors
The team working on TemplateStyles at the Wikimedia Foundation would like to enable TemplateStyles on this wiki.
TemplateStyles is a feature to allow non-administrators to write and manage CSS styles for templates. It allows contributors who edit templates to separate content and presentation. A good web practice that makes it easier to manage the layout of templates. If you don't edit templates, this will not have any impact on your contributions.
TemplateStyles is useful for a few reasons.
- It makes it possible for templates to work better on mobile.
- It cuts out confusion on where to apply CSS rules.
- Editing CSS is currently limited to administrators, which is a major barrier to participation.
- All stylesheets must be loaded on all pages (whether they actually use the page or not), which wastes bandwidth and makes debugging style rules more difficult.
You can learn more about TemplateStyles on MediaWiki.org. Technical documentation is also available.
This is an optional feature and no one must use it, but template contributors are encouraged to do so! Please discuss and let us know if there are any concerns. If there are no concerns we will proceed to deploy the feature on the 9th of August.
CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 21:28, 6 Agosti 2018 (UTC)
Tanzanian week in Ukrainian wiki
Hi everyone! Sorry for writing here in English. My name is Vasyl and I am an editor of ukrainian wikipedia. We're going to spend at least two weeks writing articles about Tanzania (August 13-26). If you know that some article might be interesting or important to know for ukrainian readers - leave your suggestions here. We'll be thankfull for that.
Would be greate if your suggestion have english or russian version. If you want - you can write some articles about Ukraine - we had such type of cooperation with estonian, macedonian, armenian, yakut, urdu and bellorussian wiki.
With best regards! Шиманський Василь (majadiliano) 06:22, 7 Agosti 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you for being interested in our country. Of course, there are a lot of articles both in Swahili and English Wikipedia. We propose to use them, starting with our geography (so special: islands, mountains, lakes, rivers, parks etc.) and history (archaeology, struggles against colonialism, Julius Nyerere and other political personality) without forgetting our biological diversity (human tribes, animals, vegetation etc.). I think you will enjoy in knowing more about us. May the Lord give you his peace! --Riccardo Riccioni (majadiliano) 06:33, 7 Agosti 2018 (UTC)
Warsha kuhusu makala zetu za astronomia kwenye Septemba 2018
Salaam tuna mradi wa pekee katika wikipedia yetu ya Kiswahili. Chuo Kikuu cha Dar es Salaam (Taasisi ya Taaluma ya Kiswahili) kilituoma tuandae muswada ya kamusi ya astronomia ambayo wanataka kuchapisha kama kitabu. Hadi sasa makala zetu ni mkusanyo wa pekee wa matini kuhusu astronomia kwa Kiswahili. (Tazama:) Makala hizi ambazo ni takriban 300 zitafanya matini ya kamusi inayolengwa. Nimepeleka pendekezo kwa MetaWiki kutupatia pesa ili tuweze kufanya warsha ya uhariri. Warsha hii itaunganisha wanawikipedia na wanachama wa ASSAT (Astronomy and Space Science Association of Tanzania) wanaopitia sasa makala hizi. Warsha inalenga kujadili masahihisho na mapendekzo, kuingiza mabadiliko haya katika wikipedia na kuandaa muswada kwa ajili ya chuo.
Nitafurahi kama wanawikipedia wanaaangalia na kuunga mkono pendekezo lifuatalo:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Swwiki_workshop_astronomia#Project_Goal. Kunasehemu ambako unaweza kubofya "endorse". Kipala (majadiliano) 07:21, 8 Agosti 2018 (UTC)